Family Group Irate Over Shit Shatner Says
No less than a week after the news emerged that Twitter-to-book-deal Shit My Dad Says was to be turned into a sitcom, a family group is getting, well, shitty about the forthcoming CBS show.
Okay, we start here: Shit My Dad Says is a Twitter account set up by Justin Halpern in late 2009 featuring, unsurprisingly, shit Justin’s dad says. Halpern Snr ends up sounding like a straight-talkin’ Archie Bunker-type and his cantankerous wisdom currently has 1.3 million followers, therefore “book deal”.
The dead-tree version of the Twitter feed was released in May and hit top ten on the New York Times bestseller list for hardcover non-fiction (as compromised as that accomplishment sounds). So far so funny. But before the book’s release, TV network CBS announced that a sitcom version of the book is in the works (a tricky roundabout self-employment effort for comedy writer Halpern).
Oddly, CBS filled in the blanks recently, announcing the show, the pilot, and the titular star as being William Shatner. Perfect, we all say. The name, though, was troublesome. The book’s cover has an asterisk sanitising Sh*t, and the CBS show have gone one further, titling the show @#$! My Dad Says.
This bowdlerising effort is to be expected, we suppose. But it didn’t stop a ‘family’ group called Parents Television Council threatening to challenge CBS affiliates’ broadcast licenses if they choose to air the show. Are you serious, PTC? Where’s your fucking apostrophe?!
No, really… are you serious, PTC? They’re currently raging against Osbournes reruns, Family Guy, Britney Spears, NYPD Blue, Big Brother, America’s Top Model and other entertainments which mildly outraged wowsers half a decade ago.
The president of the organisation squeaked from his clenched sphincter this quote: “We couldn’t imagine that a network would actually name a program either with an expletive or with the expletive ostensibly bleeped out.”
CBS responded by insisting the show “will in no way be indecent and will adhere to all CBS standards.”
We can only assume that the show won’t be featured between Pokemon and Dora The Explorer on Saturday mornings when it’s based on a twitter account that has hosted tweets such as…
- “Waking up when you got a baby, you feel like you drank a bottle of whiskey the night before, except the shit’s in someone else’s pants”
- “Don’t start a story with This is SO funny. Be like saying My dick’s huge before you screw. Even if you’re right you sound like an asshole”
- “Don’t ask for my opinion then. I said congrats on the car, just saying nobody’s panties are getting wet from a fucking Honda Accord”
Who’s going to start up the Dumb Shit The PTC Says Twitter account?
- Kanye’s Awesome New Song: ‘Eat Shit and Die’ Whatever hit Kanye West in his "pretty-ass face" at his...
- Plausible Family Casting: Tina, Mariska, Winona In the latest instalment of our fantasy casting column, three...
- Plausible Family Casting: Ron and Will Sure, Will Ferrell had a step-brother in John C Reilly…...